Genuine Girlboss

link
Five out of the six members of my family are women. The most accurate representation of my family would be the book/movie Little Women, except my Dad and sisters are still aliveOne could say that all of my sisters and my mom are "girlbosses" - a woman whose success is defined in opposition to the masculine business world in which she swims upstream. My oldest sister has a PhD in Spanish, my second-oldest sister is an engineering manager, my last sister went into her first year of college as a junior in college, and my mom is a physics and engineering teacher. 


link
The only stereotypical expectations of me as a woman come either sarcastically, or as a clear joke. One of my personal favorites, is if my Dad ever asks if I will be getting my MRS degree in college. Everyone begins to roll their eyes, even though humorously everyone that is married currently, got married in college. I never think of just "marrying rich," because I know that I can make it successfully on my
own.



link
In my own life, my chores are stereotypically cleaning and cooking the house, but most of the time I do not accomplish them when they are supposed to be made throughout the week, because I am too busy "girlbossing." I am a leader in three organizations, two of them being sports teams, I am an active member in Student Government, and I am able to manage all of that while simultaneously doing well in school and going to work every week. 

me- a "girlboss"
To say I refuse or struggle to meet the gender expectations that my family gives me, would be a lie, because they always encourage me to experience as many different aspects of life and make my own choices, rather than expect me to be a fragile little woman, who needs to be protected by a man at all times.

Comments