Be the Main Character


I sat down to write this and started a random youtube playlist (as one does ← hello sophomore me phrase) and the song:
Complicated by Avril Lavigne was the first song. Now, this may just be a random song to others, but everytime I hear this I think of my older sister’s graduation montage (it’s a tradition my dad likes to show a montage of our lives so far at grad parties). I used to watch my sister’s montage like it was the movie Cars because I was like four when she graduated. I would cry and then rewatch it because a) she wasn’t in the house anymore and b) her life looked so fun and cool in this montage. 



Thinking about her montage, there was no footage of her sitting in class and taking notes or a class. Ok ok, maybe because it was 2009 and the iphone was just barely invented, but I think I latched onto this fact and made sure my high school was focused on the experiences and not so much on education. Now, I am not saying I didn’t work hard in school, because I did… I mean having your mom as a teacher it is kinda hard not to slack off. However, I made sure to prioritize sporting events and friend hangouts throughout my years. In a way, making my life a montage and capitalizing on the fun moments. 



What I have come to realize as a “truth” about high school is: You won’t remember those hours of studying, but you will remember those nights where you cannot order at the drive-thru because you are laughing so hard you cry with your friends in the back seat. (...or take a pic with George Washington :) )


That is a very specific truth, but we all have those weird memories that were so absurd they were funny. If you can’t think of a random funny moment about high school, I think you are focusing on the wrong parts of the high school experience. 



Another thing I have learned is that being a Jack of all trades is better than being a master of one. Being in so many clubs and sports, I am proudly mediocre at many things. This helps me be more versatile. It also helps me to meet more people and have exposure to a lot of random things than being really closed off doing one sport/club with the same people. 


Comments